I always thought that the deadline represented a minimum period, rather
than a maximum.  In other words, the deadline was around to prevent
people from putting out a release in 6 hours or whatever that had some
undiscovered flaws because people didn't have a chance to examine it.

I don't remember us ever re-doing a vote because the period had been
exceeded without enough votes coming in.  But looking at
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html , it doesn't seem to
settle the issue one way or another.  Does anyone know if there is a
formal rule for this?

I guess to be on the safe side, you could start a new vote and have
people re-cast.

cheers,
Colin