On Friday 24 August 2001 14:40, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:50:06PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > Apache should be able to work as one big monolithic executable. Shared
> > > modules should still be able to work because Apache would still have
> > > DSO loading capabilities.
> >
> > But as I said, libtool sucks.  Basically, libtool 1.4 has combined
> > ltconfig and libtool into one executable.  If you pass --disable-shared
> > to the configure step, the libtool is built in such a way, that it can no
> > longer create shared libraries.
>
> That has nothing to do with libtool. You configured the system to build
> things as static libraries. Why would you suddenly expected the *output* of
> that configuration to be able to build shared libs?
>
> Even so, an external module could be built as a shared lib, and loaded by
> that monolithic Apache. And hey... maybe somebody built a monolithic Apache
> *specifically* to disallow new modules.
>
> So I'm not sure why your undies are all in a bunch about libtool and the
> --disable-shared switch.

Because it is absolutely bogus that I have to choose whether EVERYTHING
in the build is static or dynamic.  I should be able to configure APR to be built
as a static lib, but still have shared modules.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Covalent Technologies                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]