From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 10:40 PM

> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 10:17:46PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Thank you, first off, for catching my foobar.
> >
> > But -1 on the solution.  This is contrary to the syntax of AddSomething.
> > AddSomething in mod_mime (and SetSomething in core) always _replaces_ the
> > prior declaration!!!
>
> If I setup mod_bar's filter on a per-server level for a mime-type and
> then I also want the same mime-type in a directory to be handled by
> mod_foo's filter as well, I want *both* filters to be executed.  How
> do you propose to handle that?

Not this way.  No other mod_mime variable behaves the way you you are trying.
I'm not kidding about adding a Set{Input|Output}FilterByType/SetHandlerByType
so when we ask folks to rely upon mime types, they can actually do so.

> The easiest way I see to configure this is:
>
> AddOutputFilter BAR html
> <Directory /baz>
> AddOutputFilter FOO html
> </Directory>
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here.  -- justin

Yes... please read mod_mime.html.  AddSomething is not additive, and can't be.
The server config is often a nightmare to grok as things stand today.  Don't make
things harder by absusing fairly consistant definitions such as AddSomething or
SetSomething.  The inner container always overrides the outer.

So the inner needs AddOutputFilter FOO;BAR html - as of today.  I suggested an
entire +|- syntax as well, it was somewhat booed since existing +|- syntaxes are
perceived as confusing.  Here, well I think it's necessary.

None of this is addressing filter ordering across commands yet.  I said 8 months
ago we've done an inadequte job of defining the use-filters syntax.  I'm saying
the very same thing today.

Bill