On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 09:16, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > Ryan, you may veto this commit.  However, if you wish to repeal or
> > modify our style guide, I suggest you call a vote.  -- justin
>
> That is complete BS.  We have a long standing tradition of NOT making
> commits just to follow the code style.  There is no need for a vote, because
> this has been discussed to death and formatting only commits have been
> vetoed in the past in every thread that they come up in.  Review the archives
> for Roy and Dean's opinions of formatting changes.  They are completely
> bogus, and just serve to make CVS hard to use.

heheheh.  this thread again :)

aside from the obvious difficulty of dealing with differences across style
commits, here's my favourite way of explaining my position on this issue:

coding styles are much like language dialects and accents.  if you can
operate in only one coding-style then you can live happily in your own
little valley, but once you wander up and over the hills and visit other
valleys you will be confused as all hell.  learning other coding styles
allows one to share in the intellectual wealth of others.

(i thought i'd posted this to the list years ago, but it seems i've only
sent it in private email.)

-dean