>> I do not believe that adding new functionality to the server is the
way to get a release out the door.

Ryan, I agree with you on this point. Apache has to get to solid beta
before ANY new functionality is included. I believe I have backed you on
this subject before. It is simply too much to ask of everyone to get MPM
and Filtering working and then throw in something new to the mix which
has been untested and unproven.

When we released mod_gzip (through official channels at Apache) we did
so for Apache 1.3.x It took 6 months for the code to get to it's current
release and it's now considered stable. It's been tested by tens of
thousands of people. Kevin and I did nothing for 6 months after the
release except respond to issues and education of the HTTP 1.1 content
encoding spec.

There is a reason BOTH of us have insisted we will not release mod_gzip
for 2.x until Apache is in beta. You have more than enough to do to get
the whole server stable and in use by your user base before we blast
another module into the mix.

Kevin and I have been on this forum for years. Sure we've broken a few
rules but then that's what you'd expect from people who are going to
push the limits. The flame war is over, they never last more than a few
days anyway and business is returning to normal. Both Kevin and I are
passionate about compression on the web and have no need to see Apache
fail. We want you to succeed and we devote company resources to that
goal. It would be irresponsible to suddenly throw mod_gzip into 2.x
until you have it stable.

It's another distraction which no one needs right now.

Even though my vote doesn't count -1 on including mod_gz for now.

Later...

Peter