On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 05:18:03AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> I brought this up once before. I think it was Aaron that suggested an
> "optimization" which changed a pcalloc to a palloc. I noted that doing
> things like that are troublesome for long term maintenance.

I brought it up once, but my proposed change was never committed.

> Bam. Empirical evidence here.
>
> Changing pcalloc to palloc should only be done when we have specific
> information that it is *really* helpful.

I agree that in general we probably don't want to go around replacing
these things everywhere, but in some cases (like inside a tight loop
in a filter that gets called many times during a single request) it may
make sense. But that's why we have two ways to allocate memory, right?

-aaron