Aaron Bannert wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 05:18:03AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>>I brought this up once before. I think it was Aaron that suggested an
>>"optimization" which changed a pcalloc to a palloc. I noted that doing
>>things like that are troublesome for long term maintenance.
>>

>I brought it up once, but my proposed change was never committed.
>
>>Bam. Empirical evidence here.
>>
>>Changing pcalloc to palloc should only be done when we have specific
>>information that it is *really* helpful.
>>

>I agree that in general we probably don't want to go around replacing
>these things everywhere, but in some cases (like inside a tight loop
>in a filter that gets called many times during a single request) it may
>make sense. But that's why we have two ways to allocate memory, right?

The next time I have a chance to look at profiler data (probably in
the next week), I'll check where the expensive apr_pcalloc calls are
and post a summary.  Most of the obvious calloc->alloc wins from past
profiling efforts have been fixed already, but the code base has also
changed a bit since then.

--Brian