Jim Jagielski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > We turn on HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT in src/include/ap_config.h
> > for Solaris.  We do not add -lpthread to the link.
> >
> > That doesn't look good.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm?
> >

> Confirmed on both... but for some reason the compile/link/run seems
> to work... Weird!

Let's say there was this server W based very closely on Apache.  Let's
say there was this customer X.  Let's say there was this third-party
module Y from vendor Z.

customer X sees that:

  W + Y falls over when W has HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT but
  no -lpthread; they're not using "AcceptMutex pthread" but instead
  using "AcceptMutex sysvsem"

  Apache (1.3.22, I think) binary build from apache.org + Y falls over
  too (same build).

Jeff sees that:

  W + Y falls over in the same normal Apache-style build

  W + Y works like a champ if I make any of the following build
  variations:

    a) add -lpthread
    b) add -D_REENTRANT -lpthread
    c) remove HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT for Solaris from ap_config.h

  (By the way... X was happy with build variation b).

vendor Z says that:

  Apache 1.3.22 binary build from apache.org + Y works great.

  and also "we installed some Solaris patches for pthread problems
  last year."

I am not running with the Solaris patches that vendor Z has.  I'll try
to put them on tomorrow and verify that it starts working again (but
of course the build fix is needed anyway).

Who needs sleep when you can have this much fun, huh?

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...