I've wanted to look into this for quite awhile but never seem to have the time to do
it...

Wouldn't it be cool if the interface between the server and mod_cgi (or any other
content
generator) could be configured to be full duplex (rather than stuck at half duplex as
it
is today)?

With any version of Apache, it is not possible to support an HTTP transaction that
consists of a continuous stream of chunked encoded bytes from the client and a
concurrent
stream of chunk encoded bytes back to the server because the interface between the
server
and the application (a cgi script for example) is half-duplex. The server will not
attempt
to read any bytes from the application until it has received ALL of the request. The
cgi
must read and buffer ALL of the request before sending any of the response else the
application risks deadlocking with the server.

This is an interesting exercise in that we will need manipulate the blocking behaviour
of
the network layer from the top of the filter stack.

Bill