> > My own opinion is that we leave things exactly as they are today.  If
> > you are running the binary by hand, you are taking some responsibility
> > for knowing what you are doing.  That means having the environment
> > variables setup correctly before you start.
> >
> > If you don't want that responsibility, use apachectl to run the server.
> > Trying to solve this problem any other way just seems like we are asking
> > for trouble.
>
> I think that is exactly what this proposal is saying.  But at the same
> time it is cleaning up apachectl and adding some useful functionality to
> httpd.  As I've said, the current apachectl is over-complicated and the
> split between apachectl and httpd is confusing to some people.  This
> change would clear that up.

Various distros out there are also choosing to not even include apachectl
and instead include their own init.d start/stop script which invariably is
less powerful and sometimes plain wrong.  It would be nice to include some
of that logic in the binary itself to give the package maintainers less
bullets for their feet.

-Rasmus