At 12:31 PM 5/27/2002, you wrote:

>On Mon, 27 May 2002, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>
> > > -0.9.  Whoever said we were deprecating them?  I thought the plan was
> that
> > > apachectl would continue to accept 'start|stop|restart' and would pass
> > > them as 'httpd -k $ARGV' to Apache.  That is what apachectl does
> > > currently.  Yes, you *could* say apachectl -k start with the new code and
> > > it would work (I see no problem with that), but where in there are we
> > > deprecating the old way?  It sounds like just a convenience that -k
> works,
> > > not that it's the new preferred method.  Getting rid of 'apachectl start'
> > > and friends seems pointless to me, and it will irritate countless admins
> > > to change it after so many years for no reason.
>
>Part of the point of the refactoring of apachectl was to get rid of two
>major problems:
>
>- Having two different sets of arguments for httpd and apachectl is
>confusing and difficult to document

How so?  How is this different from syntax differences between any
other two commands?  Here is a wrapper used by administrators for
five years, and you want to change the syntax "just because"?

>So yes, -k should be the new preferred method.

Preferred for apacectl?  This change seems entirely gratuitous.

I have an entirely different approach we might want to consider.  Rather
than implement -k, deprecate the -k flag in Win32.  Apache takes no
arguments today, only options.  Introducing a single argument doesn't
seem like a bad compromise.

So we review the Win32 code and accept either -k start or simply start.
And in the Unix port, we introduce httpd start [no -k flag whatsoever.]
Phase out the -k documentation for Win32 in favor of the simple verb.

If we wanted to allow httpd to stop itself by absolute PID, we could allow
a second argument, the daemon's ID [be it a PID on unix, or a service's
name on Win32.]

So simply,

httpd start
httpd stop