I can only agree to every single point here, with the exception that I
want to discuss this.

> Oh well.

No, let's not do this away with a simple 'Oh well', if conf/ exists
should be left alone.  I feel quite strongly about this.  What I could
live with is an extra make target (install-config?) which does what
HEAD currently does.

> Ryan

Sander