Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>   That's not a bad idea, methinks.  It would at least give us a reliable
> way to print an error message letting the user know why module foo can't
> be loaded: please try prefork if you need to use this module.  Better
> than weird errors later in runtime.  But does PHP ask HTTPD to load PHP
> modules?  If not, PHP would need to do the same.

exactly.
php would ask it's extensions that are loaded/built in if they are
threadsafe, and if any weren't then it would respond "no"
until php has this functionality it could just return a blanket "no"
this would work as long as php doesn't dynamically load extensions
at request time. if it does then it could refuse to load a non-threaded
dynamic extension into a already running threaded php.