I also find the current 'httpd-ldap' sub-project status lamentable --
though at least at 2.0.40 it builds (but has to be patched to run on
Windows!) and includes instructions for making it part of your Apache 2
build process (on UNIX).

The lack of MSVC++ projects on Windows (which www.rudedog.org and Apache
2 main modules both provide for their stuff), the lack of API
compatibility, usage/test exposure, etc, all make the sub-project a bad
thing.  Worse, it has scared off the original www.rudedog.org folk from
maintaining it -- leaving critical LDAP authentication functionality in
limbo.

Overall, these modules should either move into experimental or back to
rudedog.org!

--
Jess Holle