Brad Nicholes wrote:

While we are on the subject of splitting auth_ldap, does it still make
sense to have mod_auth_ldap and mod_ldap?  Would it make more sense to
combine these two modules.  It seems that the split was initially due to
trying to include the ldap connection caching in apr-util.  Since that
is no longer the case, shouldn't the connection caching be rolled back
into auth_ldap?  It seems like the purpose for having a submodule like
mod_ldap is so that it can be easily replaced.  Do we expect someone to
implement another connection caching scheme?
mod_ldap is a connection pool and query cache, and can be reused by other apache modules that require ldap, such as a potential DAV-ldap module, or a proxy_ldap module, so no - I'd say a combination would be a bad idea.

In addition, combining mod_ldap into mod_auth_ldap makes it hard to split auth_ldap into authn and authz.

 Another messy point is that auth_ldap includes apr_ldap.h which resides
in apr-util/include.  Does it make sense to have an apr_ldap.h since
auth_ldap seems to be the only thing that uses it?  It just seems like
ldap functionality was never completely split from APR.
The LDAP functionality in APR is done to link in LDAP libraries on different platforms, and to provide missing LDAP functionality where necessary (eg Windows). This is why it's in APR.

I am just
wondering if this is something else that should be cleaned up before
moving auth_ldap out of experimental.
I think the structure of the files is fine as it is now - the criterion for moving it out of experiemental should be when the code has proved to be stable enough on a wide set of platforms, and there are no outstanding showstopper bugs.

Regards,
Graham
[EMAIL PROTECTED] "There's a moon
over Bourbon Street