Aaron Bannert wrote:

    Now, we could solve both problems by using a handler and
    the prefork MPM.  But then, Apache 2.0+PHP is basically
    Apache 1.3+PHP with a few extra modules thrown in.  That's
    how it appears to the end-user at least.

I don't buy that argument. Are you saying that if Apache 1.4 had been
released with a couple extra modules but no threading or filters, then PHP
would have stuck with 1.3 because it works "well enough"? No, I hope PHP
would have updated to 1.4 to take advantage of the current development
efforts. Those development efforts include not just a couple new modules
(major ones like mod_ssl, mod_dav, mod_deflate, mod_auth_ldap, etc), but
lots and lots of other enhancements (IPv6, PCRE, improved negotiation,
better documentation, better non-unix support, many bug fixes, etc).

So why not just do a handler-based PHP for 2.0, and work on other problems
in the future. This is a silly family quarel that is making everyone look
bad.

There is no such thing anymore as a handler in Apache 2.0, am I correct?
Aren't the handler-like hooks that try to behave the same was as they did
in 1.3 just implemented over output filters?

-aaron
ROTFL...
This explains my earlier observation re "if the only tool you have (amendment: or think you have) is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" :-)

Seriously, handlers exist in 2.0 (see modules/generators) and the APIs are there to read POST'ed data. I would think it's not too terribly difficult to port 1.3 mod_php to 2.0 using the exact same handler model.

Of course you still won't be able to embed php scripts in SSI tags (w/o doing unnatural things) but who really cares?

Bill