Joe Orton wrote:

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:31:10PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:

>Some questions for thought: if we start banging out versions right and left,
>then will people actually upgrade? Are we doomed to live with 1.3 forever?
>Or do we have to stick with today's architecture to support binary
>compatibility for N years?

PHP has been one of the main problems we've seen in acceptance: people
are scared off 2.0 because the PHP documentation has a big warning
saying "don't use PHP with 2.0 on production servers".

You can also see text in our bug database from a prominent PHP developer saying that the filter API needs to be redone from scratch (my paraphrase). For the enthusiastic PHP users, such comments carry a lot of weight and imply that PHP isn't production ready with 2.0 not because nobody has made it a high priority to make PHP production ready but instead because there is something flawed about Apache 2.0.