Hi Paul.
some quick comments about your code.

1. using signal is not good, or portable, or threadsafe ;( Is there a way to write a mysql sql connection without using signals at all?

2. connection pools would be a good thing IMHO

3. instead of specifying the userfield/passwordfield/table as directives maybe specify a SQL string with token placement
eg. "select count(*) from usertabels where user=%U and realm=%R and password=crypt(%P)"

4. I'm unsure about what the consequences of including a GPL header is.
you pointed out in IRC that there is a Public domain version of libmysql available (which is what PHP includes) does your module work with that?

otherwise i'm +1 on it

have you recieved any other comments about it?

Paul Querna wrote:
It is a simple hack based off of mod_authn_dbm, and mod_digest_mysql using the
new Auth*Providers in Apache 2.1/2.2

It hasn't had much testing except for internaly so far, So I wouldn't be
surprised if there are some bugs.

You can download it from:
http://open.cyanworlds.com/

With the new Auth*Providers, I would like to see mod_authn_mysql added to the
Apache HTTPD source tree.  Many people use MySQL databases for all kinds of
things, and I think including a module that can easily integrate with a common
enviroment is a good idea.

-chip