Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
--On Friday, February 14, 2003 4:26 PM -0700 David Shane Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My problem isn't managing a pool of connections... it's if process
A creates the connection, process B can use it with no problem, but
if process C tries to use it, it barfs and spikes in a function in
libpq, i think it was pgbytes.

You can't really share connections across processes. Across threads, perhaps. But, sharing them across processes is asking for trouble. You'd usually be relying upon shmem which is tricky and not really meant for sharing shm-able data structures. (Some custom OS techniques might be available, but they wouldn't be portable.) -- justin

It's starting to look that way, but I'm not done with it yet. I can share a connection across threads in the worker mpm with no problem, I've had ab thrash the hell out of it without any problems. But, as you say, the cross process shm stuff is tricky and extremely frustrating.

Shane