I've wondered for some time why mod_imap is turned on by default.
Perhaps it was for historical reasons. But it is also turned on by
default in 2.0, which seems odd, since it's pretty certain that nobody
has used this module since about 1996 when Netscape 2.0b1 came out with
client-side imagemap support.

I was wondering what the procedure is for removing a module from the
default-on list (ie, the political procedure, not the technical one) and
if there was any real feeling that this should still be in there, or if
it is purely for historical reasons.

The Smart Sysadmins Principle (or something like that) says that you
should not be running services (or modules) that you are not actually
using. But almost every Apache installation on the planet is running
this module, although I would suspect that the vast majority of those
running it have no idea what it is for, and have never used it.

So, anyways, I'd really like to see it dropped from the "on by default"
list, in both 1.3 and 2.0.

I have similar feelings about mod_asis, but less strongly.

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go