It depends on your operating system.  If you're running Solaris,
try "/usr/proc/bin/pstack pid-of-the-hung process" to get a stack
trace of every thread.  On Linux, you may be able to get some
info with gdb (how well this works depends on kernel, libc, and
gdb versions).  For other OSs, hopefully others can join in with
their debugging advice.

If you can get a good stack trace, please post it to this list.

Thanks,
Brian