On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 03:00, Sami Tikka wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> About re-opening 1.3 tree: I'm not sure I understand what is the big
> deal. This is open source. You want to work on 1.3, go do it. Your
> patches are not getting into ASF repository? Create your own. There are
> other open source projects that have started ignoring patches and it has
> caused a competing code fork to emerge. I don't see it necessarily as an
> evil thing. It is called evolution.

If patches were streaming on for 1.3 it would be a no-brainer to
're-open' the 1.3 tree.  Re-opening is a misnomer IMHO.  The tree was
declared in maintenance mode, meaning no new features, only bugfixes.
We could lift that restriction if there was real development effort
instead of just talk.

> (I guess if you start your own repository, you can no longer call it
> Apache, but any other name of an american indian tribe should be ok. :)

Careful there.  American Indian tribes take pride in their name, which
should be taken into consideration.  Don't just go picking any name.

As for calling a fork 'Apache', indeed you can't.  I personally wonder
about the market for a fork.  If people aren't showing up here with
feature requests and patches, then why would you think they will show
up elsewhere?

Sander