Geoffrey Young wrote:

>hi all.  a few win32 things :)
>
>I'm trying to get 2.0.48 to compile using VC++ 5.0 (sp1) on win2k (sp4) and
>am having a few issues.  yeah, I know it's old, but I happen to have it
>around and it's all I have :)  anyway, since I'm not a windows guy, some of
>this might be common knowledge, but I couldn't find anything on google.
>
> - http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/win_compiling.html suggests I
>need the Platform SDK, but the link is stale.  in fact, I can't find it
>anywhere on the MS site - MS has a download page for it, but it's borked.
>so, is there more recent information such that the docs ought to be updated?

It's currently at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/home.htm

although MS seem to change most of their links every week ;)

I don't think you need the Platform SDK for VC++ 6.0; I don't know about
5.0.  If you do need it, then it's probably just the "Core SDK"
component that you need.  You also need IE 5.0 or later to be able to
use most of their download sites!

> - since the SDK is only suggested, I tried compiling anyway.  I get to
>apr-util/rand.c and it throws this:
>
>rand.c
>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : error C2065: 'HRESULT' :
>undeclared identifier
>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : error C2064: term does
>not evaluate to a function
>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : warning C4013:
>'UuidCreate' undefined; assuming extern returning int
>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : error C2065: 'UUID' :
>undeclared identifier
>
>is this a known issue?  should I report it to apr?  or maybe 5.0 just isn't
>supported anymore?  I'll accept that it's because I have no idea what I'm
>doing on this platform :)

I've never seen that using VC++ 6.0.

HRESULT is declared thus:

    typedef LONG HRESULT;

in my <COMMCTRL.h>.  Do you have that header file (mine's in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include; yours will be somewhere
slightly different but similar if you have it)?  Does it contain that
declaration?  If you're missing the header or the declaration in it,
then perhaps you do need the Platform SDK...

> - lastly, is it possible/practical to have httpd 2.0 and 2.1 CVS snapshots
>include the win foo so I can attempt a fairly recent version of everything?

I'll second that request.

I was recently trying to build the latest (CVS) httpd-2.0 on Win32
(probably to look at the same thing that Geoff's trying to look at!),
but couldn't because all the extra *.mak files etc that are in the
httpd-2.0.48-win32-src.zip but not the httpd-2.0.48.tar.gz are not on
CVS (or at least not where I could find them).

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this
message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly
forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The
recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan
Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.