At 09:23 AM 3/5/2004, Steve Hay wrote:
>Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>I'm trying to get 2.0.48 to compile using VC++ 5.0 (sp1) on win2k (sp4) and
>>am having a few issues.  yeah, I know it's old, but I happen to have it
>>around and it's all I have :)  anyway, since I'm not a windows guy, some of
>>this might be common knowledge, but I couldn't find anything on google.
>It's currently at:
>
>    http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/home.htm
>
>although MS seem to change most of their links every week ;)

I hate even including the links as they are staled often.

>I don't think you need the Platform SDK for VC++ 6.0; I don't know about
>5.0.  If you do need it, then it's probably just the "Core SDK"
>component that you need.  You also need IE 5.0 or later to be able to
>use most of their download sites!

Yes.  VC5.0's featureset is pre Win2k - pre NT SP3.  so using 5.0 ...

>>I get to apr-util/rand.c and it throws this:
>>rand.c
>>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : error C2065: 'HRESULT' :
>>undeclared identifier
>>C:\httpd-2.0.48\srclib\apr\misc\win32\rand.c(102) : error C2065: 'UUID' :
>>undeclared identifier
>I've never seen that using VC++ 6.0.

I wouldn't expect so and no - the SDK is required for visual studio 5.0 - this
wont be the last thing you trip over.

>> - lastly, is it possible/practical to have httpd 2.0 and 2.1 CVS snapshots
>>include the win foo so I can attempt a fairly recent version of everything?
>I'll second that request.

We don't generate .mak files in CVS - it is not practical - the changes are
not worth the investment.  However, with awk (awk95 works well) in your path,
you can use the interactive apache.dsw to build the project under 5.0 - under
6.0 we build on the command line from dsp/dsw 's.

Look in the cvs attic of apache-1.3 for any .mak files and you will see why
we decided to make them part of rolling the package.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apache-1.3/src/ApacheCore.mak?hideattic=0

vs

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apache-1.3/src/ApacheCore.dsp?hideattic=0

the cvs ,v files are 362k vs 43k w/ about 50 revs each.  The delta of a .dsp
is legible, for .mak files they are not.  .

Bill