Rather than talk about what the name of the directive is, I'd like to raise
the issue does workaround involved really work or not.

I have a customer who runs a lightly loaded W2K server with Apache 2.0.45 +
selected patches and every couple of hours it hangs for 10-15 minutes and
then magically recovers. During the hang the error.log is filled with

Fri Mar 12 11:50:52 2004] [warn] (720064)The specified network name is no
longer available.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

I have taken the Win32DisableAcceptEx patch from 2.0.49 and it did not help.
It no longer complains, but it still hangs.

The customer used to run MS ISA server in the same box but the hang also
happens consistently on a plain-vanilla W2K server with nothing else than
Apache installed. No dynamic IP address, no dynamic DNS, no QoS packet
scheduler... As plain as I can make it.

I notice in mpm/winnt/child.c that upon failing at AcceptEx, the accepted
socket is closed, a new one is created and AcceptEx is retried. Has it helped
anyone?

Would a more effective strategy be to close the listening socket and create a
new one? Has anyone tried that or considered that? Can someone point out to
me if it is a bad idea? If not, I'm about to try that because I'm running out
of ideas...

--
Sami Tikka                tel. +358 9 2520 5115
senior software engineer  fax. +358 9 2520 5014