Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> > We have a lot of proxy updates in 2.1, which are presumably getting
> > test-driven over time.  How would one go about proposing a
> wholesale
> > backport?
>
> How about releasing 2.2 instead?  ;-)

How about backport :)
JaeanFrederic, Henri and myself take a liberty and make a lots of updates to
proxy.
The general idea was to make a successor of jk2, but we were convinced to
take a look at proxy framework.
So we did, and make a connection pool for http (20% performance boost over
current proxy implementation), added AJP13 module (proxy_ajp) with
proxy_balancer on the way all working with 2.0.50.
You may find the sources at jakarta-tomcat-connectors/ajp.

The question to backport is IMO more political then technological. The users
will switch to 2.1/2.2 no mater if the ASF artificially 'hides' the
technology from 2.0. Of course the pragmatism will make a 2.0 alive for
couple of years (as well as 1.3), but that doesn't mater. What maters is a
stable user-aware solution. If that prime principle (although conservative)
means that we do not have enough proven infrastructure to test the software,
but just rely on user experience, then I'm in favor to make all the
'advanced technology' as 2.2 goal. OTOH hiding something just to 'boost' a
new version is not fair.

Regards,
MT.