At 02:27 PM 9/24/2004, you wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>>Looks pretty good.  I think this is a good direction to move.
>>>
>>>Any reason the Netware MPM part cannot be removed from near the top?
>>
>>Don't pidfile, user and group directives belong in the mpm conf?
>
>My idea is to put into httpd.conf all the directives that a "typical" user needs to
>look at when configuring a very basic apache, so I'm not grouping strictly by module.
> I believe that PidFile and User/Group fall in that category.  (They shouldn't need
>to change PidFile, but they need to know where it is.)

That's something a normal user would not customize, they already
know dynamic files are in logs/, so it seems like something we
should be able to leave pidfile in the mpm config.

As for user/group security, I'm sort of seeing your point, but
even that doesn't belong in this file if they have something
more sophisticated like perchild going on, with multiple user
and group directives per-context.

>I also think I will probably put a commented-out MaxClients (and equivalent
>win32/netware) directive back in httpd.conf, since that is another important
>mpm-related directive that everyone needs to know about.

If that means it's noted in two locations, they are subject
to change one without the other, and end up with inexplicable
configuration issues.

Bill