* Jeff Trawick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> we don't maintain configure;
bad enough. an carefully hand-written configure would be much better.

> it is autogenerated; any fixes need to be
> in the input files; it looks like the portion you had to modify comes
> from libtool sources, not from Apache httpd sources; have you tried
you probably meant autoconf ...

> installing a later libtool and running buildconf to regenerate
> configure?
yes, tried it. but configure remains exactly the same.

IMHO automake+frieds are a really bad joke - scripts for creating
scripts, which somehow create scripts for building software in
mysterious ways ... completely indeterministic. not really the
incarnation of reliability.

I dont count the days of autoconf-trouble anylonger - i'm counting
the days when autoconfs really works, there're just a few.

I've written down some concepts for an universal crossplatform
compiling/building toolkit, which also supports crosscompiling and
sysroot'ing as fundamental concepts and abstracts from platform
or toolchain specific stuff (ie. universal parameter set for common
things like compiler options, pathes, etc, etc).

I really cant understand why it seems that I'm the first one really
working on that ...

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481