At 12:01 PM 6/16/2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Back to httpd land; the question is --- is this the right choice for *our tarballs*? Which may or may not be related to the question above. In any case; this is useful metadata even for end users who build the package for the reasons I mentioned; does anyone have a desire/justification to lose the commit dates and use the RM's checkout date?

It seems to me that modification or commit date/time is the right choice for *tarballs*.

Checkout date/time is generally the right choice for developers, because otherwise make doesn't always pick up when a file has changed. (I've been bit by the Visual SourceSafe "modification time" default enough times.)