On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 01:34:16PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> We provide SRPMs for building, which contain "fixed" httpd.spec files.

I see people downloading them a fair ammount ( > 400 per day, which is
actually quite a lot for the binaries section), and I don't see why
these would discontinue. So, would it be so bad a thing if the release
tarball wasn't itself buildable?

What is the number of commands it takes to turn an SRPM into a binary
.rpm ?

> Either that or the i386 builds work as is for people on i386 platforms. I
> personally deploy from a locally built SRPM, but that's me.

I deploy a locally built .deb, and that's much more work, so building
an rpm locally might be a lot more common than I suspect.

> Ideally the rpm builds should be continuously integrated using something
> like gump, so we catch the problem as it happens, rather than after
> release.

+1

> > I don't think having to un-tar a tarball, and mv a file in place is that
> > big an imposition on a packager.
>
> Anything that's non obvious or non standard is definitely an imposition on
> a packager. Don't make the packager do something that can be (and already
> is) easily automated :)

Well to be honest, I'm kind of confused as to why the source tarball
should be doing any of the packager's work, but I guess that's a
different argument :-)

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]