Brian Akins wrote:

Moving towards and keeping with the above goals is a far higher priority than simplifying the generic backend cache interface.

This response was a perfect summation of why we do *not* run the stock mod_cache here...

Having the source means you can customise and improve the code to better meet your needs, and in your case your modifications work for you, and your organisation has the resources to commission and maintain those modifications.

The trouble is, in order to be accepted into httpd, your modifications have to work for everyone else as well.

Apparently for example the problem of trying to handle subkeys under a main key "is mod_http_cache's problem". Ok, so mod_httpd_cache now has to implement locking mechanisms to try and somehow turn the elegant (but overly simplistic) mod_cache into a cache that is practically useful. In the process we slow the cache down. The whole point of the cache is to speed things up.

Suddenly, we lose the whole point of the exercise.

Regards,
Graham