I also had the same two errors for service install & service start, plus a load of other errors that flashed past very quickly which I think were errors about configuration files not getting created.

All three sets of errors went away when I tried again with UAC turned off. I'll send Bill logs of both installs (with and without UAC) for comparison.

Issac Goldstand wrote:
I can run it in a command prompt

I installed the latest 2.2.4-ssl on Vista business.  Log file attached
in a seperate email to wrowe.  The following 2 command windows popped up
for service install and service start:

Installing the Apache2 service
(OS 5)Access is denied.  : Failed to open the WinNT service manager
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  24...

[Wed May 02 16:01:13 2007] [error] (OS 2)The system cannot find the file
specifi
ed.  : No installed service named "Apache2".
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  19...

Steve Hay wrote:
I've already overcome the difficulties of *installing* apache, much as
you describe below, and I also found that if you create a batch file to
run the MSI and then run that batch file as an administrator (using the
"runas" command) then things work better. I'll add this to the Wiki
later after I've double-checked it.

However, my problem is that the Apache service won't start. Using Apache
1.x I had it running in a command prompt (i.e. just typing
"apache.exe"), but the service wouldn't start. Using Apache 2.2.4, I
can't start it either way so far.

Do you actually have the server *running* on Vista, either as a service
or in a command prompt?

Mario Brandt wrote:
Hello,

---------------------------------
Installing the Apache2.2 service
(OS 5)Access is denied. : Failed to open the WinNT service manager
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.
---------------------------------

First off, the apache install tries to create the conf directories and
subsequent conf files as the install progresses. Vista throws a fit
and wont create the files, presum. due to permissions. If you can,
grab the configuration files from a different install and copy
them across.

Secondly, to install as a service you can do one of two things. a)
create a bat file with "httpd -k install" and "run as administrator" on
this file. or b) goto the command prompt and do runas /noprofile
/user:pcname\user "httpd
-k install"

Hope that helps!

with best regards
Mario Brandt

Software Development
NASA 3.0 GmbH
Hongkongstraße 7 (Magdeburger Straße 17)
20457 Hamburg

Telefon: 040-3232 4725
Fax: 040-3232 4747
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]