> Have you checked without the MaxMemFree setting?
I raised MaxMemFree to 3100, we will have to wait for a few days, since it
does not happen every day.

> Why do you use MaxMemFree with such a small value at all?

We are also running 2 twistd server processes on this machine that can take
up to 256MB each, so we wanted to leave some room for them.

As I understand from the manual, MaxMemFree is not an absolute limit on the
memory available to Apache anyway, it just asks it to release *unused*
memory with free() call after it reaches MaxMemFree value?