On 10/02/2007 01:04 AM, Alec Matusis wrote:
>> Have you checked without the MaxMemFree setting?
>> Why do you use MaxMemFree with such a small value at all?
>
> I finally removed MaxMemFree altogether, and it crashed again. Nothing in
> the apache error logs, but this is how /server-status looks like during the
> crash:
>
> 300 requests currently being processed, 0 idle workers
> WCRRRRRRCRRRRRRRRCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCCRWWRRRCRWRRCRRCRWRRWRRRRRRRC
> RRCRRRRCRCRRWRRRRWWCRRRWRRRWRCRRRCRRRRRRRRRCRRCRRRCCCRRCRRRRCCWR
> RCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWRRRWRWRWCCCWWWRCRRRRRCRCCWRRWRCRCRWRRRRCRRRR
> RRRRWRRRWRRRCRRCRRCRRRCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCCCRWRRRRRRRRRRRRCRRRCRRR
> RRCRRRRRRRRCRWCRCRRRRRRRWWCWRRCWRRRCRRCRRRCR

Looks like an overloaded server to me. It is strange that there are so
many processes in 'R' state. This looks to me as some clients are playing
games with your server by connecting it but not sending a request.

> Immediately after I restarted the apache after the crash, I did get
>
> [Mon Oct 01 15:20:49 2007] [notice] mod_python: Creating 32 session mutexes
> based on 300 max processes and 0 max threads.
> [Mon Oct 01 15:20:49 2007] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Unix) mod_python/3.1.4
> Python/2.4.1 configured -- resuming normal operations
> ****[Mon Oct 01 15:21:25 2007] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
> consider raising the MaxClients setting***
>
> but it's strange that this message was not written before or during the
> crash, even though /server-status shows no available free child processes.

It is only written once during the livetime of the server. So in your case
above: As it appeared immediately after the start of the server it will
never appear again until you restart the server.

Regards

RĂ¼diger