On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:39:53 +0200
Issac Goldstand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Akins, Brian wrote:
> > On 3/26/08 9:06 AM, "Nick Kew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> There seems to be a demand for dynamic per-request configuration,
> >> as evidenced by the number of users hacking it with mod_rewrite,
> >> and the other very limited tools available.  Modern mod_rewrite
> >> usage commonly looks like programming, but it's not designed as
> >> a programming language.  Result: confused and frustrated users.
> >

> > This is what I had in mind when I suggested having <Lua> blocks of
> > code.  No need to invent a new language when a perfectly fine one
> > exists...

I'm not talking about inventing a new language.  Those who want one
have some options already, as noted below ...

> FWIW, it's done with <Perl> blocks too (I do some funky things that
> way), BUT I'm not sure if those are parsed per-request as I think
> Nick is suggesting.

Neither am I, FWIW.

>         Also, many times people don't want to bloat
> their processes with a fully-fleged interpreter

That is much more of a consideration.  As I said, the basic idea is
to provide a much simpler rationalisation for the kind of things
people struggle to do with mod_rewrite et al.

>    (again, I'm building
> on my mod_perl experience here - I know that the shared Perl objects
> are pretty clunky, and not sure if mod_wombat looks the same).

AFAICT mod_wombat just provides Lua bindings (some of them stubs)
for hooks exported from the core.  Nothing for configuration.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/