There's a couple of conflicting demands by our users, and spending time on the users mailing list and on the IRC channel is a great way to see this first-hand.

They don't want to learn a new syntax. And they want a new syntax that lets them do what they mean.

And they're very frustrated when they can't do things that are obviously what everyone wants, and have to resort to mod_rewrite. Now, I'm very fond of mod_rewrite, because, after all, I wrote a book, and royalties from that book buy me my toys.

But the time spent answering the same questions again and again on IRC lead me to believe that there are certain features that would gain us a lot of appreciation from our users - the folks who, at least to me, make this stuff worth doing. Easy for me to say, since I just document what the rest of you guys actually do. I recognize that it looks easy from the cheap seats.

Virtual hosts are just one example of something that's amazingly hard (for beginners) to get right, and very easy to get wrong. And when it's wrong, it's unpredictably wrong, in ways that are hard to anticipate.