William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

-0.5 PLEASE not in the core. Make mod_wombat a standard module and part of the default moduleset, whatever, but let's not make more core dependencies, please?!?

-0.99 - agreed.  Perl is perfectly happy having <perl> blocks as modular
behaviors... I've noticed a trend in the last few years of building on the
core (and folks rightfully accused me of growing mod_proxy core when new
directives are rightfully part of mod_proxy_{whatever}).

Let's focus on keeping it in useful pieces, even if they are built by
default.

-0.99 - agree with wrowe.

I looked at the option of supporting different configuration providers a while back, I was researching the idea that configuration could be stored in LDAP instead of flat files, and it seemed pretty straightforward (didn't have time to explore further).

What I did find is that it is quite possible to support pluggable configuration options, it isn't difficult: your configuration module must somehow render config lines which are pumped into the core. How those lines come into existence, whether sourced from flat file, rows in a database, or rendered by a programming language, is up to you.

One further thing PLEASE not the default. I don't have the time in my day to learn a whole programming language just to configure my webserver.

The problem that needs solving is to find an acceptable tradeoff between allowing the mod_rewrite fans to do complex stuff, while at the same time letting us mere mortals do the simple stuff as well without any drama. Please don't lose sight of that.

Regards,
Graham