I didn't have trouble building it on linux, however:
1) I cannot build it on windows; the first part of the win32 build
instructions is "perl Makefile.pl" from the libapreq folder, which for
me throws up lots of dialog boxes saying expr.exe, sed.exe, chmod.exe,
rm.exe, sh.exe, bash.exe and/or basename.exe has encountered a problem
and needs to close... This is probably something I should investigate
with the apreq people.
2) The mod_wombat build process is reluctant to find libapreq2 unless
you build libapreq2 with a set prefix (and give the same prefix to
mod_wombat's configure)