Item 2 is 'documented' in the building from SVN instructions:
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_wombat/trunk/docs/building-from-subversion.txt)
    If compiling (make) reports an error that it cannot find the
    libapreq2 header file, please tell me ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
    as this occurs under some configurations but we haven't
    hammered down the weird things libapreq2 does with its
    install. If you build libapreq2 with a --prefix configuration
    option, it always seems to work.