On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 01:52:11PM -0700, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On May 21, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > As I said, everything works fine this way.  With mod_proxy in the mix
> > however:
> >
> >   1 TREO   Sends OPTIONS request to Apache (Connection: Keep-Alive)
> >   2 Apache Sends OPTIONS request to IIS (Connection: Close)
> >   3 IIS    Replies with 200 OK (Connection: Close)
> >   4 Apache Sends 200 OK back to Treo (Connection: Close)
> >   5 Apache Sends SSLv3 Close Notify to Treo
> >   6 Apache Sends FIN,ACK to Treo
> >   7 TREO   Sends POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync... (Connection:
> > Keep-Alive)
> >   8 Apache Sends ACK to Treo
> >   9 Apache Sends Dup ACK to Treo
> >  10 Apache Sends Dup ACK to Treo
> >
> > Timeout...
> >
> > I attempted to backport the patches mentioned here:
> >
> >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=657440
> >
> > In the hopes it might address this, but I'm still seeing the
> > connection
> > prematurely closed around #5, #6 above.  I *believe* this is the cause
> > of my issue but am not positive.  The Treo continues to try and use an
> > existing connection that no longer exists, and Apache keeps sending
> > Connection: close headers.
> >

> I don't see how this is a bug. Why does the TREO not
> close the socket and reopen another? How is it "premature"?
> The server can decide to say "That's enough" at any time and
> the client must honor that. Instead, it looks like the
> TREO is seeing 'Connection: close' and ignoring it and
> considering the connection persistent.

Understood; I'm happy to blame the Treo for perhaps poorly implementing
HTTP, but from the user perspective it works directly to IIS, but not
via the Proxy.

My most feasible option is to try and see if this is something that can
be addressed within Apache.  An option to allow a persistent connection
in the scenario above might help.

I promise to go and read through the RFC's, but if the Treo is
requesting a Keep-Alive connection, shouldn't Apache try its best not
to close the connection as quickly as it is?

Ray