Your posts keep saying "The Treo does this" and the "Treo does
that" and "likelihood of fixing Treos is 0 percent"...

...but I'm a little confused.

What SOFTWARE are we talking about on the "Treo".
The "Treo" is just a handheld. It does what it's told to do.

Are you using one of the carrier's standard browsers or
is this is custom piece of software sending this intitial
OPTIONS request and then ignoring the 'Connection: Close'
from the Server?

If it's a piece of custom software then the likelihood of
at least fixing the "Why doesn't the Treo respond correctly
to Close Connection" part of this issue is actually
around 100 percent. Just fix the client and send out
updates.

It is NOT a 'bug' for a Proxy server to decide to send
'Connection: Close' to an upstream server even if the
original request contains "Connection: Keep-Alive".

It IS, however, a definite bug on the client side if a Server
sends 'Connection: Close' and the client still behaves as
if the connection is active.