William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> If the *original* code dates to Open Market's implementation, we need to
> use some caution.  The original license was very restrictive.  The current
> mod_fastcgi license is much less restrictive;
>
> "Open Market permits you to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license this
> Software and the Documentation for any purpose, provided that existing
> copyright notices are retained in all copies and that this notice is
> included verbatim in any distributions. No written agreement, license, or
> royalty fee is required for any of the authorized uses. Modifications to
> this Software and Documentation may be copyrighted by their authors and need
> not follow the licensing terms described here. If modifications to this
> Software and Documentation have new licensing terms, the new terms must be
> clearly indicated on the first page of each file where they apply."
>
>   http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/node/6?q=node/14
>
> At one point, authorized uses was much narrower, meaning that if the code
> was in svn, and re-purposed elsewhere, it was not licensed.
>
> If this is based on the original mod_fastcgi license, perhaps incorporating
> the modern, appropriately licensed flavor and then layering the mod_fcgid
> improvements on top of that would make the most sense?

Ok, this does get worse; the license cited above applies to to the fcgi
package itself.

The mod_fastcgi implementation has the following terms;

  Open Market permits you to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license
  this Software and the Documentation solely for the purpose of
  implementing the FastCGI specification defined by Open Market or
  derivative specifications publicly endorsed by Open Market and
  promulgated by an open standards organization and for no other
  purpose, provided that existing copyright notices are retained in all
  copies and that this notice is included verbatim in any distributions.

  No written agreement, license, or royalty fee is required for any of
  the authorized uses.  Modifications to this Software and Documentation
  may be copyrighted by their authors and need not follow the licensing
  terms described here, but the modified Software and Documentation must
  be used for the sole purpose of implementing the FastCGI specification
  defined by Open Market or derivative specifications publicly endorsed
  by Open Market and promulgated by an open standards organization and
  for no other purpose.  If modifications to this Software and
  Documentation have new licensing terms, the new terms must protect Open
  Market's proprietary rights in the Software and Documentation to the
  same extent as these licensing terms and must be clearly indicated on
  the first page of each file where they apply.

I'd call that a category X license, submission denied.