bing swen wrote:

> As made clear sometime earlier, Windows 2008 R2 will only have 64-bit
> versions. The clock is ticking

Has built fine (with edits) from command line without visual studio,
and .sln's won't be the sole mechanism as long as I have a veto;
1) MS needlessly introduces breaking changes into each successive VS
product release in a vain attempt to lock-in and force-upgrade (e.g.
the .vcproj formats, manifest etc etc), and 2) There's no way out of
an .sln into a procedural makefile build.  Not even cmake or msbuild,
at least the last time I looked.  It's lock-in, ergo it's locked out
(as the sole resource).

You are right, it's time to dump dsp/dsw but not because they will
be replaced with vcproj/sln, although it would be nice to get there
for all the reasons we discussed.  Much like simplifying the 64 bit
build (which you can already get out of APR, APR-util etc).

Your last observation was fun... have you actually ran Microsoft Vista
SP1 x64 edition on a collection of assorted hardware?  As cool as it
would be to replace 32 bit with only 64 bit binaries, there is a
performance penalty and it will be years before this is robust enough
for the vast majority.  Notice 2008 Server R1 was released in 32 bits?
Wouldn't have happened if the world was ready.

Bill