On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Ricardo Cantu <rica...@smartcsc.com> wrote:

> I'm a long time user of mod_fcgi

BTW, I think you mean "mod_fastcgi."  I haven't found a true "mod_fcgi,"
though some people on the web have used that to refer to mod_fcgid.

> and would like to start using mod_fcgid. I've
> been running mod_fcgi with a custom patch of mine. I like to see if it
> could
> be included in mod_fcgid or maybe you can give me an other way to
> accomplish
> what I need without the patch. What I have is one C program that lives on a
> linux server. I want to use a web browser as the UI. The C program is a
> classic "one instance to one UI". If 5 people want to run this program I
> need
> five separate and persistent copies of the program running, one for each
> person. When one is done then the program exits.
> What I've done is sym-linked my program to make unique program names
> like:
> program-1
> program-2
> program-3
> etc..
> Then each browser asks for a different name.
> plus the patch that allows setting  killInterval to 0, so the process
> manager
> won't kill my process ever.  Here are the settings:
> -maxClassProcesses 1 -singleThreshold 1 -killInterval 0.
>
> I know I could have done it with FastCGIExternalServer, but I wanted
> everything to be dynamic.

I think this may work for you:

DefaultMinClassProcessCount 1
DefaultMaxClassProcessCount 1
IdleTimeout 2147483647
ProcessLifetime 2147483647

Those magic values for IdleTimeout and ProcessLifetime are as close to
"unlimited" as you can get with the current code.

Note that these can only be set globally with mod_fcgid.  That's probably a
much bigger problem than the "unlimited" hack.