> It's not 'broken'.
> Why change it?

Please don't think that old configurations and practices are not broken -
web sites are loading too slow for pipes and web-server power that we have.

And situation is getting worse year after year - here's analysis by Patrick
Meanan of WebPageTest.org's one year history:
http://blog.patrickmeenan.com/2010/05/are-pages-getting-faster.html

            Sergey