On 2/4/2011 3:26 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> Would you prefer os/unix or APR? I am also happy to simply revert if
>>> that is the majority opinion.
>>
>> I suspect that a generic apr '_refresh' function would be most useful
>> across the board, others might disagree.
>>

> Isn't APR for "portability"? All I see is a single function
> call...
>
> If we have to pollute something with this res_init(), then httpd
> is likely the better place than expanding APR even more beyond
> being a "simple" portable runtime ;)
>
> But I'm fine either way... as long as it builds and links ;)

My thought is that this might not be the only thing to 'refresh' when
you have an app which needs current state.  It would be a chance to
flush out all caches and set the state basically to apr_initialize(),
modulo any open resources or currently allocated pools.  It could even
go so far as to free() all the unused pool memory, giving us a really
fresh start on heap pages that have been fragmented to heck.