On 14.06.2013 16:41, André Malo wrote:

>>> Long discussions in STATUS are kinda tedious ;-)
>>>
>>> Well, I think, such changes are what trunk is for. Why not simply
>>> leave  everything below as-is? Even more if it removes only an
>>> annoyance? Or is there a real technical reason I'm just not seeing
>>> right now?
>
> [...]
>>
>> Or, is there a real technical reason to keep it broken in 2.4?
>
> Annoying rhetoric games aside - we went from "only annoying" to "broken".
> What
> is it now?
>
> No other opinion on this?

As far as I understand the matter, the block removed by the above commit
would throw a compiler error if code uses strtoul() and includes httpd.h.

The motivation was that at the time the block was introduced some
supported platforms, e.g. SunOS 4, did not have strtoul(), so it was
helpful to throw that error even when compiled on other platforms to
ensure compatibility.

The error will also be thrown for any 3rd-party code that uses strtoul()
and includes httpd.h when being compiled - so practically all modules
are prohibited to use strtoul().

The function is part of C89 which we assume as a minimum when compiling
Apache 2.4. So I do not see any positive effects of the old block. I do
recognize, that it breaks module compilation for modules using
strtoul(). So the proposed change removes an obstacle for full CC89
support in modules. Furthermore I can not imagine any risk of breaking
stuff that worked before removing the block.

Based on that I am +1 to remove the block.

Regards,

Rainer