On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:18:06 +1000
Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net> wrote:

> on holiday with a dog slow 3G vpn tonight, so I'll be brief (and wont
> see any replies until I return on Sunday...)
>
> I have never agreed with any "release often" principle, a project that
> releases often (more than a few times a year) to me says "immature
> instability" compared to a project that releases once or twice a year
> (barring critical bug resolutions) - IOW, release when necessary not
> just because its a "cool thing to do". Take dovecot for instance, we
> stayed on the stable 1.2 series for more than a year after it was EOL,
> because its 2.0.x kept having fixes and releases every couple of weeks
> for a while, admins dont like that, it gives them no warm feelings
> towards stability.

On the other hand, waiting 6 mos for a 'complete' release also implies
that users are waiting for other fixes for 5 months.  Reviewing CHANGES
helps admins to determine if those fixes in a more frequent release
cadence do address specific needs of each specific admin.

> WRT slow take up of 2.4.x, I agree, the incentive (as was discussed 2
> years or so ago) was to EOL 2.0, and what needs doing now, is starting
> the countdown to EOL of 2.2 -  if there's no incentive to move, twenty
> years of history proves most admins wont.

Please keep an eye out, as Steffan has, for anywhere we are still
presenting the 2.2 branch as 'stable' or implying that it is current.

In practice, 2.2 is the stable release, from what users experience.

The post from the modperl project relayed by Jim this past week is
very welcome news, for getting 2.4 adopted by downstream packagers!

At minimum, presenting 4+ packages to downstream for their evaluation
and inclusion in distributions seems sensible, particularly in the
early adoption phase.  Without frequent fix releases, we are pushing
those admins back to 2.2 for stability, whether it's warranted or not.

But the thread is largely about how long an offer to RM should be
considered 'valid', vs. having another prospective RM pick up the baton
and run with a new release.  We all get busy, and as active volunteers
we tend to over-commit and under-deliver.  If STATUS were devoid of
'Bill claims the baton' messages, will others step up to RM more
frequently?  You are asking the question, 'should we RM more frequently
or avoid frequent releases?'  Based on the history and early adoption
of both 2.0 and 2.2, I'd suggest that frequent releases do contribute
to adoption.