On Jul 10, 2013, at 2:18 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> I found these comments from STATUS rather ironic;
>
> -0.5: sf: I would prefer if this sat in trunk for a few months first
>           to receive more testing.
>
> +0.5: jj: I would prefer if this sat in trunk for a few months first
>           to receive more testing.
>
> What testing?  With no (-alpha or -beta) release, there will be few
> (if any) testers.  Only committers.
>
> Heck, why would a user check out /trunk/?  The code they are running
> is likely 2.2.x with a hope to upgrade to 2.4.x.  For any real world
> user, our /trunk/ is a rather distant place.

Bill, how is ANY of this new and different? Are you saying that in
the "old days" people did checkout and test trunk and that they
aren't now (or pulled HEAD)? Or that we now do beta or RC releases
between 2.4.x and 2.4.x+1 ? Or that stuff in trunk goes immediately
into 2.4? Or what?

IMO, we need more people to follow the code instead of (or
in addition to) posting bikeshed email threads.