Before we incorporate it... can we have some sense of the impact of the
optimization?  So far we don't have much data to go on.

There is talk of releasing some apr 1.5 enhancements.  I'd personally favor
adding skip list to apr rather than -util or httpd, since it could be
useful core functionality, and 2.0 drops the distinction anyways.